Tuesday 1 November 2011

Gestalt's Theory - Logo Designs

IMAGINARY FORCES LOGO:



I created these logos on Adobe Illustrator. Although I probably could have created them quicker in Photoshop, I was getting used to the basic tools in this particular software that I still feel unfamiliar with. The font I used for all logos is the standard Monotype Corsiva, which resembles the elegant font of the real 'Imaginary Forces' logo. However, once I have decided which one I want to use for my final project, I will research more into type faces to find a more interesting and unique one that is not as recognisable.


Similarity
I used the basic text and shape tools to create these logos and I feel that even though they are very simple, they are effective and suit the purpose of Gestalt's design principle.



Closure
I used predominately the line tool to create this first logo idea. I feel it is a strong example of Gestalt's 'Closure' theory as the viewer automatically makes two complete squares and does not see them as separate lines around the words. I however do not feel that this idea is one of my strongest due to the fact it is not particularly eye catching and there are not any aspects of it that could be reduced to just a logo that would be instantly recognisable.


Proximity
This design idea is based on Gestalt's theory of proximity. They include the words 'Imaginary Forces' with three black dots which the viewer sees are grouped together. I feel that this logo is quite successful, and the six dots could be explored further and created a recognisable smaller logo which does not necessarily need the words to be understood it belongs to my design studio.




Figure and Ground
This first design is not particularly strong yet I feel it experiments with figure and ground very well. The viewer perceives the word 'imaginary' as grey text on top of a white background, whereas it is quite confusing to see whether the word 'forces' is white text on a black background or whether it is a black box with gaps in it to reveal white background. What I personally do not like about this design is the strange spacing between the letters of forces compared to the tight spacing between the letter in imaginary. I feel this is quite distracting.





1 comment: